Meeting notes for 31st January 2024
Posted by Paul Silver
On 31st January, ten freelancers got together in the Battle of Trafalgar pub to talk all things freelancing. This is a selection of what we talked about:
- Project problems
- A run in with a local “character”
- Can an aged PhD in AI be turned into being an “expert” in the LLM world?
- Dealing with someone else’s mad code (rather than your own mad code)
- The state of the market
- Finding work when you’re newly freelance vs when you’re experienced
- Bad routing in JS
- Upwork and monitoring software
- Working in Egypt in the early days of the web
- Children, autism, ADHD and more
- Doing a tech audit before you start with on a new client’s project
- iPhone site testing
- Working on big tenders
- Are you suited to being a freelancer or a contractor?
- Managing your managers
- Code reviews
- Juggling projects
- Our own websites and who likes flat file structures?
Check the home page for where we’ll be meeting this Wednesday.